Sustainable tips for the holidays
The holidays are just around the corner, Christmas day has a reputation for being one of the most polluting days of the year. In fact, environmentalists argue that it is the world’s greatest annual environmental disaster.
So here are some tips to help you avoid so much waste and pollution.
- Buy thoughtful presents, better quality items that are made to last longer avoid so much waste of non-recyclable things. Help your loved ones become greener and gift them with a reusable water bottle or reusable bamboo straws, we can certainly help you with that and many other stocking gifts. Think outside the box and gift experiences instead or even better make a donation to some charity in the name of a loved one.
- When it comes to gift wrapping, avoid wrapping paper that is metallic, has glitter on it, or has texture, those are not recyclable. If you really want to wrap gifts conventionally at least buy recycled paper, you can also go a step further and reuse paper form other years or read newspapers. There is a great alternative that we have been seeing online which are cloth bags that are reusable and really cute.
- When it comes to decorations, use what you have from other years or buy second hand from the thrift shop if you don’t have anything. You can also make your own decorations with natural items like leaves, branches, moss, and pine cones.
- Get a reusable advent calendar made from wood that can be filled with anything you want and not just chocolates. Make your own one if you are handy enough.
- Lastly, when it comes to the tree, it really depends on where you are, if they can grow trees sustainably or not. But here are some of the options we have seen, if you already have a plastic tree reuse it as much as you can, you can also buy a preloved tree online, in some places they offer tree rentals if you live in a place with the right weather get a real tree in a pot that you can grow and take care of for many holidays.
If you still haven’t bought stocking presents we have a special offer just for YOU! Plus we have express shipping on all orders until December 20th for the same price as regular shipping!