Many people love Valentine’s day; they wait impatiently for the day to gift flowers and chocolates to their beloved ones but, if there’s one thing that doesn’t agree with Valentine’s Day, that’s the environment.
Cards contribute to deforestation and end up in landfills. Chocolate and flower-growing producers are among the biggest pesticide users.
There’s no need to worry though, here are a few tips to make your Valentine feel loved while still keeping it eco.
- DIY cards: Get some recycled paper and get creative! Everyone appreciates a handmade card.
- Bake your own treats or if you aren’t the best chef gets some Free Trade chocolate.
- Why not plant some flowers instead of picking some? Or plant a tree on your partner’s behalf? Maybe give them some living plants instead?
- Cook dinner with locally sourced and organic ingredients.
- Reuse paper to wrap your gift or use a reusable bag.
- Upcycle something they have that it’s meaningful for them.
- Try to avoid balloons,…as they are really harmful to the environment (keep in mind that everything that goes up must come down)
- Go hiking, to an outdoor event, or volunteer…At the end of the day, Valentine’s day should be about spending time with someone you love and not about the treats!