Do you want to start composting at home?
If you want to start composting at home here are steps to make your own compost:
- Get a container and place it in a grassy and shady part of your garden
- Create a base. Pile up a few cm of leaves and branches at the bottom of the container
- You need a balance of nitrogen, water, air and carbon.
- Break up any big chunks of food waste before putting it in the container
- Avoid meat, dairy and bread as it attracts pests.
- Once a week or so, you should mix the materials and aerate the pile.
- When the pile gets dry a bit of water to moisten it.
- Compost will be ready in a few months. You will know when it turns a dark brown color, develops an earthy smell and is warm to the touch, which is a result of all the microbes living inside.
If you don’t have enough space at home to make your own compost (we feel you), you can always see where the nearest farmer’s market is and check out if they take any food waste for composting.
All you need to do is freeze your waste every day (so it doesn’t get stinky) and take it down there on Sundays.