Natural mosquito repellent
If like us you live in a warm and humid place you must also be suffering from mosquito bites. So one of the first things we bought were mosquito repellents, we tried and got what we thought was less toxic, but at a regular grocery shop they weren’t that many natural options. Some of the options they have are the plug in mosquito repellent devices with either liquid or tabs, or the incense.
But now that we are settled in our own place we are on the search of finding the best natural mosquito repellents, we had heard about plants that repel mosquitoes like citronella but, as per usual, when we don’t know something we did some internet search.
So here are some of the plants we are on the lookout for; geranium, eucalyptus, rosemary, basil, anise, mint, marigolds and lavender. We just need to find the ones that grow here best.
During our google research we also found natural mosquito repellents made mostly from essential oils that sounded interesting and easy to make ourselves. We will post the ones that work best for us. On the meantime here are some of the combinations we found (from Enjoy Natural Health)
1. Vanilla Lavender Mosquito Repellent
This recipe features a beautifully aromatic combination of vanilla and lavender in a lemon-water base. You’ll love the scent blend, but mosquitoes absolutely hate it!
- 15-20 drops lavender essential oil
- 3-4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 oz. distilled water
2. Extra Strong Mosquito Repellent
With a quarter-pound of super-potent cloves, this alcohol-based recipe doesn’t pull any punches. It takes a little longer to make this one, but it makes mosquitoes vanish quicker than ever!
- 16 ounces rubbing alcohol
- 3.5 oz. whole cloves
- 3 oz oil (sesame or almond)
3. Easy Essential Oil Mosquito Repellent
Just essential oil and apple cider vinegar – or even plain water. What could be easier than that? Again, rosemary, clove, lavender, cinnamon and eucalyptus are mosquitoes’ least favorite essential oils.
- 25 drops essential oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar or distilled water
4. Natural Mosquito Repellent With Aloe
Pick an essential oil and vegetable oil, mix them with aloe, and you’ve got a lotion that moisturizes your skin while it drives away bugs.
- 10-25 drops essential oil (Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint: all of these work!)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (avocado, olive, etc)
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
If you have any suggestions we would love to know them, so go ahead and leave a comment below.