Is coconut wood sustainable?
Hey there! Are you a coconut lover? Who doesn’t enjoy fresh coconut water while sunbathing? What about coconut oil huh? Aren’t coconuts awesome?
At Be ALAM, we sure are crazy about coconuts and we’ve put together some tips and info that we think you’ll all love.
Did you know that..
- Coconuts were named “coco” after a hobgoblin? Yes, apparently the brown, hairy husk reminded sailors of a spirit. Interesting, huh? Legend or truth, what do you think?
- More than 26 billion coconuts are produced every year.
- Coconuts can float long distances over the sea and then put down roots once they get to a shore. Would that be how coconuts expanded around the world?
- Bad news are that coconuts kill about 150 people every year! (FYI – less people are killed by sharks!)
- A controversial fact is that coconut water can replace plasma transfusions! This belief originated when coconut water was given as an emergency blood transfusion during World War II, when regular solutions were not available. Needless to say, this is not true. Coconut water is healthy and a much more preferable drink than sugar based ones but it’s not a blood replacement!
Now, other than water, do you know there are many more other ways of using coconut?
- Scrubs and body oils: Who doesn’t love the smell of coconuts scrubs and oils? Well, not only that but they are also natural exfoliators, and guess what? You can even make them at home!
- Bowls/Utensils: Bowls, forks, spoons and many more utensils can be made out of coconut husks
- Cooking – check out some of our favourite coconut recipes here
- Shoe and furniture polish – a natural way of polishing.
- Relief from insect bites – coconut has anti inflammatory properties and it’s really helpful if you are trying to forget about those mosquito bites. Just apply some coconut oil on the bite and you’ll feel better soon.
- Makeup remover – finally, a natural way of taking off your makeup. Avoid single use cotton, make sure to use a reusable remover pad.