Homemade Coconut milk
By now, we’ve told you plenty of the reasons why, at Be ALAM, we LOVE coconut so much. So you probably won’t be surprised to know, that we’ve started making our own coconut milk at home.
Today we are bringing you this basic yet super healthy recipe, so you have no more excuses - get up of the sofa and try it!
There are different ways of making coconut milk, but we’ll tell you how to make it from fresh coconuts.
- You only need fresh coconuts (1 large coconut will give you about half a cup of milk, so keep that in mind when going to the grocery store).
How to open a coconut easily?
People shy away from buying fresh coconuts as they think they need specific tools to open them, but actually, you can open them with things that we are sure you already have home:
- You can heat the coconut up in the oven and then just whack it against a hard surface.
- If you don’t have access to an oven, a simple mallet will help you crack it open.
- First, separate the meat from the shell. It should be easy to do with a spoon as the water should have softened the meat.
- Rinse and drain the meat and ensure there are no brown bits left in between.
- Now it’s time to grate the meat; once that has been done, wrap it all up in a cloth.
- Take a bowl and squeeze the meat over it, until all the milk has come out. (You can keep the leftover meat aside and use it to make coconut flakes.
- Strain the milk - there you go! You now have undiluted coconut milk.
- Lastly, if you want to dilute it and make it a bit less strong, you just have to mix it with hot water. Measure how much milk you have vs how much you want and compensate the difference with hot water. Once mixed, let it settle for a couple of minutes and it will be all done!
- All you have left to do is enjoy! Drink with a reusable bamboo straw like our Bali straw!
Have you tried the recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments below. Are there any other recipes you love? Share them with us :)