No food waste recipe: we made vegan pumpkin croquettes
In case you hadn’t noticed yet… we love pumpkin! Following our motto of using up as much leftovers as possible, we decided to get creative and make a new recipe with pumpkin since we had bought a whole one for thanksgiving.
So we made croquettes from scratch, vegan ones! Conventional Spanish croquettes have butter and milk, instead we used olive oil and water.
- 150gr of pumpkin
- 250gr of water (or milk)
- 4 to 5 tablespoons of flour
- Half an onion and some garlic (to taste)
- Chop the pumpkin, onion and garlic into small pieces. Simmer in a pot with olive oil until onion is gold and the pumpkin is soft.
- Add water and spice to taste (we used some cumin and black pepper), add a pinch of salt. Let it boil and turn down the heat.
- Gradually add the flour, stir to mix it in properly. Until the consistency is a paste.
- Let the paste cool.
- With two spoons make the paste into croquette shapes, try to make them the same size.
- Bread the croquettes, we used only flour, because we didn’t have any bread crumbs, but you can make them crunchier with bread crumbs. For a non-vegan option you can bread them with egg also.
- Lastly, fry them with some hot oil until they are nice and toasted.
We hope you like them as much as we did!