Both being passionate about the environment and sustainability, we realized that we were just not doing enough. We were living corporate lives, that didn’t match our morals, ideals and were far from our dream lives. We needed something else; something more.
We had to step it up, both personally and professionally, and that’s how we decided to start a project out of one of our biggest concerns and passions… our planet.
Alam means "nature" in Bahasa. When looking for a name for our brand, we came across this word and instantly fell in love with it. Nature is our why, Alam is why we do what we do.
Be ALAM was born to contribute to the zero waste movement. We source sustainable materials to create modern, convenient, affordable yet ethical plastic substitutes, furniture and decoration. We choose and package every product personally and make sure it has a safe journey to our customer’s door.
We as individuals, believe that everyone can make an impact and make the world a better place to live. We know it sounds cheesy, but here are some facts:
- Plastic items can take up to 1000 years to decompose in landfills.
- Plastic microparticles are getting into the flesh of fish eaten by humans meaning we are now eating plastic.
- A new study suggests that ingesting even a single piece of plastic can be deadly for sea turtles.
- The Great Pacific garbage patch, also described as the Pacific trash vortex, is a growing gyre of marine debris particles in the central North Pacific Ocean.
Now, here are some news headlines:
- Banning Plastic straws won’t save the ocean, but we should do it anyway (Vox).
- Hundreds of thousands of sea animals killed each year by discarded bags, lids straws and other plastics. (OceanSentry)
Seeing that combined with our personal struggle to live a plastic free life, we decided it was either time to give in or to take some action.
If you want to know more about our journey, subscribe to our email newsletter or follow us on social media. We’d like to connect with you directly!